Do your best and don’t obsess about the rest.
If you are staying in your home during the project, there are a few things you can do to help minimize the dust from spreading into other rooms. That said, we fully admit – this won’t be the most fun thing you’ve ever done. If you are extra conscientious about keeping a clean home, you may have to give up some control – knowing this won’t last forever. Remember, keep focused on the end result; it will be worth it in the end!
Here are a handful of products and tips to help you along:
- Plastic and Tape – tape off doorways
- Flat Sheets – wet the sheet and hang in front of the plastic to attract and catch drywall dust
- 2 pairs of slippers (what!?) If you must walk thru the space, leave the dirty ones in the project room and clean ones on the other side–minimizing dust tracked throughout!
- Shop Vac – save your good vacuum cleaner until the end
- Moving Blankets or Tarps – cover furniture to keep pieces dust free
- Keep doors and vents closed during construction days – better yet, tape plastic over the vents while you’re at it
- Leave when you can. Take a break and focus on something other than your project.